*I walked into Mass and gave up alcohol forever

For some, alcohol can be lethal (David Cheskin/PA Wire)


The feast of SS Peter and Paul on June 29 marks the annual anniversary of my decision to give up drinking alcohol. 

People find it hard to understand the compulsive drinker. I was often asked: “Why don’t you cut down a bit, drink less and enjoy it more?” Tolerance and compromise maybe the watchwords of contemporary culture but they have little currency with the heavy drinker.

I started drinking years ago as a student and carried on afterwards. Beer and wine formed a comfortable shoulder in the corporate world. A good trencher man, still running and weight lifting, I felt I had nothing to fear.

On the morning of June 29 I walked into a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. Most people had already gone through to another room. A cheerful man called Charlie greeted me.
“Looking for AA?” he asked.

“I just want to talk to someone, see what’s involved,” I said. “I don’t want to go into a meeting. Not yet.”
“OK,” said Charlie.

We sat in small book-lined room next door. The night before I had telephoned the AA helpline. That evening had begun with a routine bottle of beer cracked open after work, then a glass or two of red wine with dinner. Over the pub I sank a few jars of cider and later finished the bottle of red. Convinced the habit was out of control, I made the call.

 (...) A few years later Charlie contracted cancer and died.
 
His funeral was heavily attended. At one point in the service the priest said: “Let us pray for Charlie and all who suffered with him.” At first, I thought he meant cancer sufferers, but as I looked at the congregation I began to pick out people I knew from AA. Thin girls, sunburnt businessmen, pensioners with bling: these were the people Charlie suffered with.

I still use Charlie’s advice: do it a day at time; be comfortable with who you are; don’t take on too much; learn to say no. In addition, I stay loyal to his memory.

After that first meeting with Charlie I slipped across town to Mass, still frightened about my health and the daunting prospect of sobriety. It’s hard to explain, but as I sat there at Mass the whole idea of stopping drinking clicked into place. I have never drunk alcohol since. Sitting there, I knew I was done with it.

I believe that Jesus goes to these meetings, sitting there with skin on. Through the laughter and encouragement of Charlie and fellow sufferers I came to understand the mercy of Christ. Considering all this I heard, as if for the first time, the words of Psalm 33: “I sought the Lord and he answered me. From all my terrors he set me free.”

My prayer was answered. Every year I repeat the response tight-throated with gratitude that this Jesus, my God with skin on, came through for me.

John Musgrave works as a technical writer and lives quietly in the south-west of -June 2013