*What, no Gospel?

I would like to know if the Gospel reading can ever be substituted.  For example, at our Christmas Eve Mass for Children, the youth minister had gift bags with Nativity pieces, pulling them out of several bags and asking the children who the pieces were, telling the children that they were gifts, and also asking the children questions about the Christmas story. This has been very troubling for me.  I do not want to ask my priest why.

Fr. Rocky: A Mass without a Gospel reading is like a football game without a football.  Are you sure there was no reading of the Gospel?  The Gospel is the essential part of the Liturgy of the Word, which is the first part of the Mass.  I think you ought to ask your priest what’s going on.
FR-ROCKY-SIGNATURE

Originally published in The Catholic Answer.