*Monthly Cleaning


After reading about confession on Sister Patricia’s web site, reconciliation was fresh on my mind. I had been thinking that it was about time I went to confession again when one Saturday morning the Lord taught me a little something about the sacrament right in my kitchen.
My coffee pot had been dripping very slowly because I had been procrastinating cleaning it.
I knew I needed to take some action, so I found the instructions and started reading. All of a sudden I felt the Lord speaking to me, showing me my own need for cleaning.

The instructions read: “Descaling—We recommend that you descale your coffee maker once a month because mineral deposits can form a coating in the coffee maker, causing slower brewing time and possibly an off flavor in the coffee. Use a cleaner recommended for coffee makers. Wash the carafe and filter with soapy hot water.” That was it! The instructions were simple!
I, too, need to be descaled and cleared of those gunky deposits that build up in my life and in my heart. As I clean my coffee pot monthly with water and vinegar, I will be reminded to clean my spiritual coffee pot in the great sacrament of reconciliation.
Often the Lord uses everyday things to teach me, making His will clear for me. On that Saturday morning, in my family kitchen, I learned more than just how to clean a slow dripping coffee pot.
Jane M. Adams
Fitchburg, Wisconsin
101 Inspirational Stories of the Sacrament of Reconciliation