*Is following my priest´s advice obligatory?

Q- I recently went to confession. In addition to giving me a penance, the confessor gave me certain instructions about what I should do. I performed the prescribed penance, which I know I’m obliged to do (and which was rather mild). But am I also obliged to follow his advice? He told me to do something that seems impossible for me to do.

A- Fr. Rocky:  There are five steps to a good confession: examination of conscience; contrition; purpose of amendment; confession; and finally, satisfaction. If you preformed the prescribed penance, then you have made “satisfaction,” and your confession is complete.

The advice that the confessor gives should be accepted in the spirit in which it is offered: friendly and fatherly advice from a doctor of the soul who wants the best for you.  Strictly speaking, it is not necessary to follow the advice. However, following the advice of the priest may be an indication that the penitent has true purpose of amendment, which also indicates sincere contrition, a necessary act of the penitent.

So much depends on the nature and content of the specific advice.  It may happen, from time to time, that the advice might not be entirely suited to your condition. But more often than not, the advice is salutary for your soul. 


 I would encourage you to take some time to reflect on that advice in the presence of God and ask the Holy Spirit to help you discern whether you should make a better effort to put that advice into effect. And remember, “All things are possible for God” (Mk 10:27).