*The Brown Scapular: A Miraculous Shield in Time of Battle

Mr. Sisto Mosco of North Providence, Rhode Island, is a veteran of World War II, who survived, 
unscathed, the invasion of Normandy, and later, the 7th fleet war with the Japanese fleet, the 
taking of Iwo Jima and Okinawa, and other bloody battles in the South Pacific. Sisto affirms that 

his miraculous escape is another perfect example of the powerful protection of Our Blessed 
Mother of Mount Carmel, through Her Brown Scapular.

“I was on the battleship the U.S.S. Nevada as chaplain’s yeoman during WW II in the Pacific. (I 
always wore my Scapular because I was brought up close to the Church, and I kept it on me all 
through the war.) The ship was loaded with dynamite. A suicide plane hit the deck real close to 
where I was positioned. The blast blew open the bolted steel doors of the compartment. I 
alone was left uninjured after the explosion. The rest were all dead or seriously mangled. I 
was the only one untouched and I attribute it to the wearing of my Scapular.”

Mr. Mosco later received a commendation from the Admiral of the fleet for bravery, but in his 
heart he firmly believes that the credit goes to Our Lady, the Virgin most powerful, who works 
such wonders through Her Habit of Salvation.