Skip to main content

Leading My Children in the Catholic Faith

Children and prayerAs I have embraced the Catholic faith with much enthusiasm, I want my kids to embrace it too. So I’ve been working over the last several months to work the faith into their daily lives.

I want to be sure that I don’t make it a “have to” for them so that they grow to resent it or want to get away from it. I
Here is what I have done at home thus far and please share any suggestions for what you do with your kids:
  • Daily prayer (morning/night)

  • Table blessing

  • Make the sign of the cross on their foreheads as their “blessing” before bed and they do it for me as well. It’s become a lovely little tradition :).

  • Nightly work in some sort of Bible story or information from a Catholic kids book (may be about a saint or a Bible story).

  • Occasionally say one decade of the rosary for one of their friends who needs help or their recently passed Grandma. This needs to become at least weekly, I think.

  • Attend Mass weekly.

  • Attend religious education weekly.

  • Talk more about the importance of helping others and regularly try to engage them in an activity where we are donating/giving to others in need.

  • Hung crucifixes in both of their rooms.

  • Recently had a visit from one of our parish priests where  he blessed us, the house and the dog ;-).
Other ideas I’d like to do but really haven’t yet:
  • Have a weekly family meeting where we say a prayer together and discuss tasks for the week, concerns, etc.

  • Once a month, instead of eating out, have PB&J at home and donate the money we saved to an organization we all choose.

  • Put a portion of any gift money or allowance money they receive into a charitable giving fund which they can donate to the organization of their choice.

  • Possibly take my almost 9 year old to Adoration for 5-10 minutes at first.
@ACatholicNewbie.