Medjugorje, a positive comment from Pope Francis?


Medjugorje, where dead priests are resurrected


Writing in her latest newsletter from Medjugorje, Sr Emmanuel shares an anecdote relating to Pope Francis and Medjugorje: 

“For my part, Pope Francis' silence about Medjugorje is positive. I think he is waiting for the appropriate moment to express his views.

“A small, but meaningful anecdote that is worth sharing here: on Wednesday June 17th, Douglas, an old friend of mine who often comes to Medjugorje, met Pope Francis during the general audience following his catechesis about Family. On that day the Gospel inspired Douglas in a special way – it was about the young man who was being taken to the cemetery and whose mother was widowed (Luke 7:11-15). Douglas said to Pope Francis: ‘Holy Father, this is exactly what is happening in Medjguorje: some priests arrive, and they are dead inside. And in Medjugorje Jesus resurrects them and gives them back to His Mother.’ The Pope answered with deep conviction, ‘I know, I know!‘” 

• I personally know priests who have experienced ‘resurrection’ at Medjugorje. This letter, by the late Fr Brendan O’Malley confirms the truth of the statement made in Sr Emmanuel’s anecdote.

Dear B... Where do I start? Perhaps a very sincere thank you for the wonderful invitation to accompany your group to Medjugorje. 

I had my doubts to begin with, wondering if I would be able to cope with the journey and the heat. But Our Lady saw me through. It was such a revelation to me, about myself and the faith of so many people, young and not so young.

When I got back home I was tired, but felt so renewed and affirmed. I just could not believe that God and Our Lady could use this broken instrument in so many ways. I kept wondering: ‘Is this really me?’ as the Lord enabled me to find words to speak to so many different people and address their problems.

I am now facing, once again, the reality of daily life and am trying, with Our Lady’s help, to build on what she gave me in Medjugorje.

I look forward to the reunion and with God’s help further pilgrimages. Many, many thanks. I have received so much from the pilgrimage. You are all in my daily prayers and I hope to offer Mass weekly for all the group and all those who celebrated Confession with me.

Yours sincerely, Fr Brendan