Priest: I have been healed by the Eucharist

 11/19/2015 ASIA NEWS
INDIA
“I have been healed by the Eucharist,” says 81-year-old priest miracle at Eucharistic congress in Mumbai


by Nirmala Carvalho


During the final Mass at the National Eucharistic Congress, Fr Michael "felt Jesus touch me and heal me,” overwhelming him with peace “as never before." He “has been ill for a while, and largely retired,” noted one of the priest’s confreres. “After the Mass, I saw him rejuvenated and re-energised. The Eucharist healed him.”

Mumbai (AsiaNews) – Fr Michael Martires, 81, felt the presence of Jesus and was healed during the homily of the papal legate, Card Ranjith, during the Mass that brought to a close the National Eucharistic Congress in Mumbai.

“I felt the presence of Jesus through the power of prayer at the deep moment of the Eucharistic celebration,” Fr Michael said. “It was like being in the 'Tent of Glory'. It was so nice . . . I believed, and I asked Jesus to save me, heal me and free me. A great feeling of peace overwhelmed me with a sense of calm and serenity I never felt before. I felt Jesus touch me and heal me physically. My doctors testify that my healing was miraculous.”

"Fr Michael is 81 and still active, but he has been ill for the past two months,” one of his confreres, Fr Lawrence D'Souza, told AsiaNews. “He has had a fever for some time and went to St Elizabeth Hospital twice. Almost every day he would tell us that he could not sleep for many nights, that his chest hurt and that he had blood pressure problems."
"The doctors told him to take a series of tests. He was taking antibiotics and other drugs. For many weeks, he could not celebrate Mass. Last week,” Fr Lawrence added, “I suggested he come to the inaugural celebration of the Eucharistic Congress, but he declined because he was sick."

"I suggested then he come at least to the final Mass on Sunday, 15 November, but he was undecided.” However, “The next morning I went to see him and he was ready to go out. So I helped him cross the road and we took a taxi. On the way to the seminary, we recited the rosary for half an hour.”
“The Mass celebrated by Cardinal Ranjith was an experience of rejuvenation for Fr Michael. The disciples of Emmaus had the same experience, which went from the 'burning hearts' to the flame of the Holy Spirit. "
"When I looked at Fr Michael at the end of the Mass, I saw he had completely changed”. He had “new energy and was rejuvenated. For sure, the Eucharist healed him.”
“Over the following days, he could do many of the things he used to do, and could prepare trips that he did not think that he could do anymore. ‘Praise be to the Eucharistic God,’ he told me, 'for His mercy never ends'."

In the opening Mass of the Congress, the Archbishop of Mumbai, Cardinal Gracias had prayed that all the delegates present may "have the experience of Emmaus".