Inspirational Stories of the Sacrament of Reconciliation

A Special Memory 


St. Peter’s Church has been my home since I became Catholic almost six years ago. However, my story begins a few years before that.

In 1996, my best friend and her family moved to Beaufort, South Carolina. It was during my visits to see her that I attended Mass and became familiar with St. Peter’s Parish. As I look back now, I can see that every time I attended Mass, I was being called home. I remember knowing in my heart that I would become Catholic if I ever decided to move from Illinois to South Carolina.

At the age of twenty-nine, I bravely traveled 900 miles, with my cat as my only companion, and arrived in Beaufort on August 31, 1999. Although I did not have a job or a home to call my own, I was eager to start my life anew.

In the spring of 2000, five months after I arrived, I celebrated my first Communion and confirmation at the Easter Vigil Mass. At that point in my life, I was feeling unloved and unworthy. I had been struggling hard to see myself as God sees me, and I was seeking a deeper understanding of His love. I was also trying to grasp our Blessed Mother’s love for me.

One day after receiving the sacrament of reconciliation, I had an experience I’ll never forget. Like all my other confessions, once I was absolved and out of the confessional, I felt lightness within me. Then I prayed my penance as I knelt in front of our beautiful crucifix. The memory of what happened afterwards has never left me and I pray that it never will.

St. Peter’s has a beautiful icon of Mary, and I had always wanted to kneel in prayer in front of it, but I had never had the courage to do so because I didn’t know if there was a certain code of behavior for doing this. I was afraid of making any mistakes, and I let fear of the unknown keep me from what I now know is a simple process.

As I knelt in front of my Lord after confession on that unforgettable day, I felt called to Mary. I went to her statue, lit a candle and then knelt in prayer. As I was praying, I began to feel the loving arms of Mary wrap around me. I felt her loving embrace and was made aware of how real she is in my life. It was with Mary’s hug that I began to see just how much she will help me draw ever closer to her Son and my Lord, Jesus Christ.
I still have struggles and weaknesses, but I will continue to be blessed by the sacrament of reconciliation for as long as I live.


Amanda S. Abbott


Beaufort, South Carolina