A Beautiful Card: Testimony


It was 1981, and I was feeling a call in my heart to seek God. My husband was a fallen away Catholic and I was a non-practicing Method- ist, pregnant with our first child.

That spring we went to Easter Mass at St. Catherine’s Parish in Quar- ryville, Pennsylvania. Before Mass began, my husband decided to go to confession. Father Thomas Gralinski heard his confession and told my husband to see him after Mass. They talked, and we soon started meeting with Father Gralinski once a week at the rectory to learn more about our faith. My husband and I have been going to Mass ever since.

When I was pregnant with my third child in 1991, I started thinking deeply about parenthood. My dad died in a trucking accident when I was nineteen years old and I couldn’t help but wonder if I would live long enough to see my own children married, and if I would be able to share in the lives of my grandchildren. I prayed that I would.


Shortly thereafter I read a Scripture that gave the promise of a long life to those who honor their father and mother. That Scripture settled into my soul. I had always honored my father when he was alive, but felt there was a wall between my mother and myself.

I was convinced that my mother favored my three brothers. Even though there were times that I didn’t feel this way, I always refused to give her loving cards on her birthday and for Mother’s Day. The words in those sentimental cards were not how I felt about her in my heart. Although I always loved my mom, after reading that Scripture I knew I was not honoring her.
I went to confession and told Father Gralinski that I was unable to honor my mother as I truly should. Afterwards, it felt as if a heavy weight had been lifted off my heart.

A few weeks later, I was totally surprised when I received a beautiful card from my mom letting me know how much she loved me, and how proud she was to have me as her daughter. Not long after that, the two of us shared lunch together and she told me about the relationship she’d had with her mother. It was not a loving one and I believe it had a subconscious effect on the two of us and how we got along with each other.

God healed my relationship with my mother after I went to confes- sion that unforgettable day. We are very close today, and I can happily say that I can now choose loving cards to send her and that they truly say what I mean with my whole heart.

I never told my mom about my confession that brought healing to our relationship. She was raised to not trust Catholics and was upset when I became one. Over the last twenty-four years though, she has come to accept my family’s spiritual commitment to God. Although she believes in God, she has not made a connection to a church. I continue to share our faith with her whenever possible and keep her close in my prayers.

Darlene E. Graver
Strasburg, Pennsylvania