We don’t have any written record of anything the St. Joseph said. Sure, there have been visions of St. Joseph to certain seers over the past few millennia, but those are private revelations and the faithful do not have to believe them.
I like to think that Joe was a pretty normal guy, set apart and chosen to do the most extraordinary thing a man could ever do – be the foster father to the Son of God. Arguably the greatest and most manliest man who ever lived, Joseph’s example becomes the standard for husbands and fathers for all time.
Now, I’m no seer, but I’d like to think that these words made their way out of his mouth. Their ordinariness, to me at least, is comforting. Here could be some of the things that St. Joseph probably said while he was here on earth.
1. “Good morning, family!”
2. “Jesus, will you hand me that planing tool?”
3. “I love you.”
4. “Let me hold the boy for you, Mary.”
5. “It sure was hot today in the workshop.”
6. “Careful with those nails, son.”
7. “Let us build something nice for your mother together.”
8. “Hold my hand, son.”
9. “You read the Torah so well, Yeshua. I am very proud of you.”