Blessed Angela’s Visions of the Mass


The Littlest Soul Blog


Bl. Angela of Foligno was a great mystic who was favoured with many visions, locutions and other mystical gifts. But most importantly, she loved God very much.
Her writings are beautiful. The revelations she received are also very beautiful. Here are a few of Bl. Angela’s visions relating to Holy Mass:
FIRST VISION
“… by virtue of His divine power, the Body of Christ could be upon every altar, a thing not to be comprehended in this present life… “But those who feel something of Me,” said God, “do understand more of it; nevertheless, neither the former nor the latter do fully understand, but the time cometh when ye shall understand.”
 After this I was enlightened and did comprehend… how God cometh in this Sacrament… together with a most beauteous company… the Thrones [“It was revealed to St. Mechtilde that three thousand angels from the seventh choir, the Thrones, are ever in devout attendance around every tabernacle where the Blessed Sacrament is reserved.” – Cochem]. That company was most bright, and was an exceeding numerous multitude… for it could not be measured either in length or breadth, but was ineffable.”
SECOND VISION
“Now whilst the Mass was being said, there was a priest who was celebrating near unto the time of the Communion. And as he was taking the Body of Christ and breaking the Host, I heard a voice weeping and saying, “Alas, many are there who break Me in pieces and who do even draw blood from My back!” I did therefore think that the priest was not in a state meet for receiving the Body of Christ, and I prayed, saying, “Grant that he may not be such a one,” and instantly it was answered me, “He shall not be thus eternally.”
FOURTH VISION
“And as I drew nigh unto the Communion, the voice [of God] spake again and said, “Now is the Son of God upon the altar, according both unto His divinity and His humanity, and with Him is a multitude of angels.” 
SIXTH VISION
“Another time I beheld Christ in the consecrated Host as a Child. He appeared certainly to be a child of twelve years of age, very lordly, as though He held the sceptre and the dominion. He appeared to hold something in His hand as an emblem of lordship, but I know not what, and although I saw it with my bodily eyes I cannot say what it was that He held in His hand…  Verily, His beauty and adornment cannot be described… And finally, my delight in that vision was so great that I asked no help of Him and spake neither good nor evil, for I was so absorbed in the delight of that beauty that I knew not what to say.”
SEVENTH VISION
“I have many times seen the Body of Christ in divers forms in this Blessed Sacrament. For sometimes I have seen the throat of Christ more splendid and beauteous than the sun, and by that beauty was it certified unto me that God Himself was here, seeing that it was incomparably greater than the sun both in beauty and quantity, wherefore doth it greatly grieve me that I cannot make it manifest. Sometimes I have seen two eyes of great splendour, and so large that I beheld nothing of the Host save the edge thereof. At the sight of both these things was I refreshed with so much joy that I cannot compare the one with the other, because both are so great that I do think I shall never lose them.”