Gemma Galgani and her angel



Her guardian angel assists her in prayer.


(...)Father Germano continues “…He let her see him sometimes raised in the air with outspread wings, with his hands extended over her, or else hands joined in an attitude of prayer. At other times he would kneel beside her. If they were reciting vocal prayers or the Psalms, they did so alternately; if aspirations or prayers from the heart, “they rivaled one another” [these are Gemma’s words] that is, they had a holy rivalry as to whom would say them with more fervor saying ‘Viva Gesu’ or ‘Benedetto di Dio’ and other such beautiful invocations. When it was time for meditation, the angel inspired her with sublimest ideas, and moved her affections so that the result of this holy exercise may be more perfect. The subject of these meditations was, for the most part, the Passion of Our Lord, the angel like a good master, laid open its profound mysteries to her soul. “Look” he would exclaim, “at what Jesus suffered for men. Consider each of these wounds. It is love that has opened them all. See how horrible sin is, since to expiate it, so much pain and so much love have been necessary”. These and other such reflections went straight to the heart of the fervent Gemma”


On another occasion she writes: 

"I was in bed suffering greatly, when on a sud­den I became absorbed in prayer. I joined my hands and, moved with heartfelt sorrow for my countless sins, I made an act of deep contrition. My mind was wholly plunged in this abyss of my crime against my God, when I beheld my Angel standing by my bed. I felt ashamed of being in his presence. He instead was more than courteous with me, and said, kindly: "Jesus loves thee greatly. Love Him greatly in return." Then he added: "Are you fond of Jesus' Mother? Salute Her very often, for She values such attention very much, and unfailingly returns the salutations offered to Her; and if you do not sense this, know that She makes a proof of your unfailing trust." He blessed me and disappeared. 

Her guardian angel guides her in spiritual matters


In her Autobiography, Gemma writes “One evening, when I was suffering more than usual, I was complaining to Jesus and telling him that I would not have prayed so much if I had known that He was not going to cure me, and I asked Him why I had to be sick this way. My angel answered me as follows: ‘If Jesus afflicts you in your body, it is always to purify you in your soul. Be good.’ Oh, how many times during my long illness did I not experience such consoling words in my heart! But I never profited by them.”


“From the moment I got up from my sick bed (was cured –editor) my guardian angel began to be my master and guide. He corrected me every time I did something wrong, and he taught me to speak but little, and only when I was spoken to.

One day, when those in the house were speaking of some person, and were not speaking very well of her, I wanted to speak up, but the angel gave me a severe rebuke.

He taught me to keep my eyes cast down, and one time in Church he reproved me strongly saying to me:

‘Is this the way you conduct yourself in the presence of God?’

And another time he admonished me in this way ‘If you are not good, I will not let you see me anymore’. He taught me many times how to act in the presence of God; that is, to adore Him in His infinite goodness, His infinite majesty, His mercy and in all His attributes”

Once, Gemma’s guardian angel ordered her to write the following:

'Remember daughter, that whoever truly loves Jesus speaks little and bears all things. I command thee, on behalf of Jesus, to always refrain from giving your own opinion, unless it is asked; always to prefer silence to upholding your own views. Whenever you have committed a fault, accuse yourself of it at once, and do not wait for others to accuse thee. Give full obedience to your confessor, and to those whom he commands thee to obey; and be always sincere with them. Remember to guard your eyes, and be assured that the eyes that are mortified, shall behold the beauties of heaven.’To humble her, her guardian angel once said to her: “Poor child! How imperfect you are! How much you need others to keep a constant guard over thee. Oh, how much patience I must have with thee.” 


Her Guardian angel corrects her


Father Germanus writes "When necessary, her guardian Angel knew how to show severity. She one day told me this in the following words "My Angel is a little severe, but I am glad of it. During the last few days, he corrected me as often as three or four times a day". 


Gemma writes "Yesterday while at table I raised my eyes and saw my Angel looking at me with frightening severity. Later, when I went to my room, Oh my God, how angry he was! I looked at him, but lowered my eyes immediately. He said "Are you not ashamed to commit such faults in my presence?" He cast such severe looks at me! And I did nothing but cry and recommend myself to my God and to my Blessed Mother, that they might take me away, because I could not bear it much longer. Every now and then he repeated "I am ashamed of you." I prayed also that others might not see him so angry; for if they did, no one would come near me....I did not have courage to say a word to him, for whenever I raised my eyes, he was looking at me severely.... Yesterday evening I found it impossible to sleep, and at last at about 2:00 am I saw him approach. He put his hand on my forehead saying "Sleep my poor child", then he disappeared."




Her love for her guardian angel

Her spiritual director Father Gemanus writes- "Gemma, seeing the great charity her angel lavished upon her, loved her angel immensely, and his name was always on her tongue as well as in her heart."
‘Dear Angel’ she would say ‘I love you so!’ 

‘And why’ the Angel asked.

Because you teach me how to be good, and to keep humble, and to please Jesus'."