**The Meeting with the Soldier Alexander at the Fish Gate**
Another dawn, once again the packs of donkeys crowding before the gate that is still closed, once again Jesus with Simon and John. Some vendors recognize Him and swarm around Him.
A soldier who is on guard duty, when they open the gate and see Him, comes over as well. He greets Him:
"Hail, Galilean. Tell these nervous people to be less rebellious. They complain about us, but they do nothing but curse us and disobey. And they say that this is worship for them. What kind of religion do they have, if it is founded on disobedience?"
"Be compassionate with them, soldier. They are like someone who has an unwanted but stronger guest in their house; they can only take revenge with their tongue and with disdain."
"Yes, but we have to do our duty, and we have to punish them, which makes us more and more those unwanted guests."
"You are right. You must do your duty, but always do it with humanity. Always think: 'If I were in their place, what would I do?'. You will see that you will then feel great pity for the subjugated people."
"I like hearing You speak. There is neither contempt nor arrogance in You. The other Palestinians spit on us behind our backs, insult us, show disgust toward us... except when there is a chance to pluck us, for a woman or for purchases. In that case, the gold of Rome no longer causes disgust."
"Man is man, soldier."
"Yes, and he is trickier than a monkey. But it is not pleasant to be among people who behave like snakes in ambush... We too have homes and mothers and wives and children, and life is also important to us."
"Exactly. If everyone remembered this, hatred would disappear. You said: 'What religion do they have?'. I answer you: A holy religion that has as its first commandment love toward God and toward one's neighbor, a religion that teaches obedience to the laws, even if they come from enemy States.
Because, listen, my brothers in Israel, nothing happens without God allowing it. Even dominations, misfortunes beyond match for a people, of which it can almost always be said—if the people examine themselves with rectitude—that the people themselves have wanted them, with their ways of living contrary to God. Remember the Prophets. How many times did they speak of this! How many times did they show with past, present, and future facts that the ruler is the punishment, the rod of punishment on the back of the ungrateful child! And how many times did they teach how to stop suffering it: by returning to the Lord. It is neither rebellion nor war that heals wounds and tears and breaks chains; it is living as righteous people. Then God intervenes. And what can weapons and formations of soldiers do against the flashes of angelic cohorts fighting on behalf of the good? Do we suffer oppression? Let us deserve that this end, with a life fitting for children of God. Do not rivet your chains with new sins. Do not allow the Gentiles to believe you have no religion, or are more pagan than they are because of your way of living. You are the people who have received the Law from God Himself. Observe it. Make even the rulers bow before your chains, saying: 'They are a subjugated people, but greater than us; their greatness is not in numbers, in money, in weapons, in power, but comes from their origin in God. Here shines the divine fatherhood of a perfect, holy, powerful God. Here is seen the sign of a true Divinity. It shines through in His children.' Make them meditate on this and yield to the truth of the true God, abandoning error. Everyone, even the poorest, even the most ignorant of God's people, can be teachers to a Gentile, teachers through their way of living, and preach God to the pagans through the actions of a holy life.
Go. Peace be with you."
"Judas is late, and so are the shepherds," Simon observes.
"Are you waiting for someone, Galilean?" asks the soldier who has been listening attentively.
"Friends."
"Come into the cool of the courtyard. The sun is already burning from the early hours. Are you going to the city?"
"No, I am returning to Galilee."
"On foot?"
"I am poor. On foot."
"Do you have a wife?"
"I have a Mother."
"So do I. Come... if you do not feel disgust for us like the others."
"Only guilt repulses Me."
The soldier looks at Him in admiration and thought.
"With You, we will never have to intervene. The sword will never be raised against You. You are good. But the others!..."
Jesus is in the dim light of the courtyard. John looks toward the city. Simon has sat down on a block of stone that serves as a bench.
"What is your name?"
"Jesus."
"Ah, are you the one who performs miracles even on the sick?! I thought you were just a magician... We have those too. A good magician, in any case; because there are some...! But ours do not know how to cure the sick. How do you do it?"
Jesus smiles and keeps silent.
"Do you use magic formulas? Do you have ointments made of the marrow of the dead, dried and pulverized snakes, magic stones gathered from the caves of pythons?"
"None of that. I have only My power."
"Then you are truly holy. We have the haruspices and the vestals... and some of them perform wonders... and they say they are the most holy. But do you believe it? They are worse than the rest."
"And so why do you venerate them?"
"Because... because it is the religion of Rome. And if a subject does not respect the religion of his State, how can he respect Caesar and the homeland, and so many other things?"
Jesus looks intently at the soldier.
"In truth, you are advanced on the path of justice. Continue, soldier, and you will come to know that which your soul feels it has within and does not know how to give a name to."
"The soul? What is it?"
"When you die, where will you go?"
"Well!... I don't know. If I die as a hero, to the pyre of heroes... if I am nothing more than a poor old man, a nobody, perhaps I will rot in my lair or in a ditch."
"That is as far as the body is concerned, but where will the soul go?"
"I don't know if all men have a soul or if only those destined by Jupiter for the Elysian Fields after a portentous life have one, even if he doesn't take them to Olympus as happened with Romulus."
"All men have a soul. And this is what distinguishes man from the animal. Would you like to be like a horse or a bird or a fish, flesh that, when dead, is only rot?"
"Oh, no! I am a man and I prefer to be such."
"Well then, what makes you a man is the soul; without it, you would be nothing more than a talking animal."
"And where is it? What is it like?"
"It has no body, but it exists, it is within you; it comes from Him who created the world, and to Him it returns after the death of the body."
"From the God of Israel, according to you."
"From the one, single, eternal God, supreme Lord and Creator of the universe."
"And does a poor soldier like me also have a soul?, a soul that returns to God?"
"Yes, even a poor soldier, and God will be a Friend to his soul if it was always good, or He will punish it if it was evil."
"Master, look, Judas with the shepherds and some women. If I am not mistaken, yesterday's girl is with them," says John.
"Goodbye, soldier. Be good."
"Will I not see you again? I would like to know more..."
"I will be in Galilee until September; if you can, come. In Capernaum or in Nazareth, everyone will be able to give you news about me. In Capernaum, ask for Simon Peter; in Nazareth, for Mary of Joseph. She is my Mother. Come. I will tell you about the true God."
"Simon Peter... Mary of Joseph. I will go if I can. And You, if you return, remember Alexander. I am from the Jerusalem century."
Judas and the shepherds are already in the courtyard.
"Peace to you all," says Jesus, who would have liked to say something more...
But a thin, though cheerful, young girl has broken through the group and thrown herself at His feet:
"Your blessing once more upon me, Master and Savior, and once more my kiss for You!" - (she kisses His hands).
"Go. Be cheerful, good; a good daughter, then a good wife, and then a good mother. Teach your future little ones My Name and My doctrine. Peace to you and to your mother. Peace and blessing to all who are friends of God. Peace to you as well, Alexander."
Jesus walks away.
"We were delayed, but those women besieged us," explains Judas. "They were in Gethsemane and wanted to see You. We had gone there, without knowing about each other, to come with You, but You had already left and instead of You, they were there. We wanted to get rid of them... but they were heavier than flies; they wanted to know many things... Have You cured the girl?"
"Yes."
"And did You speak to the Roman?"
"Yes. He is an honest heart, and he seeks the Truth..."
Judas sighs.
"Why do you sigh, Judas?" asks Jesus.
"I sigh because... because I wish it were our people who sought the Truth. However, they either run from it, make fun of it, or remain indifferent. I feel discouraged. I feel the desire to never set foot here again and to dedicate myself only to listening to You. After all, as a disciple I manage to accomplish nothing."
"And do you think I accomplish much? Do not be discouraged, Judas. These are the struggles of the apostolate. More defeats than victories: defeats here, because up there they are always victories. The Father sees your good will and blesses you anyway, even if it does not bear fruit."
"You are good!" (Judas kisses His hand). "Will I manage to become good?"
"Yes, if you want to."
"I believe I have been during these days... I have suffered to be... because I have many tendencies... but I have been so, always thinking of You."
"Persevere then. You give Me much joy. And you, what news do you give Me?" He asks the shepherds.
"Elias sends You greetings and a little food, and says not to forget him."
"Oh, I keep my friends in My heart! Let us go to that little village that can be seen immersed in greenery. Then, at sunset, we will continue our way. I feel happy to be with you, to go to My Mother, and to have spoken of the Truth to an honest man. Yes, I feel happy. If you only knew what it means to Me to carry out My mission and see hearts approach it—that is, the Father—ah, then you would follow Me more and more in spirit!..."
