Around the year 490, on Monte Gargano in southern Italy, a wealthy landowner found his lost bull kneeling at the entrance of a mysterious cave. When he shot an arrow at the animal, the arrow miraculously reversed and wounded him instead.
Bishop Lorenzo Maiorano of Siponto ordered three days of prayer and fasting. On the third day, the Archangel Michael appeared in glory and declared:
“I am the Archangel Michael, and I stand always in the presence of God. This cave is sacred to me. I have chosen it. I myself am its watchful guardian. Where the rock opens wide, the sins of men can be forgiven. What is asked here in prayer will be granted. Go and dedicate this place to Christian worship in my name and in honor of all the angels.”
Later, when the bishops prepared to consecrate the cave, St. Michael appeared again and said he had already consecrated it himself. Inside they found an altar prepared with a red cloth and a cross, plus the imprint of the Archangel’s foot in the rock.
That grotto became the Sanctuary of Monte Sant’Angelo — the oldest shrine in Western Europe dedicated to St. Michael. For over 1,500 years, pilgrims have sought his powerful protection there.
St. Michael claimed the place. He demanded the shrine. He still defends all who call upon him.
