1917-2017: “Return to the Rosary”!


2017, the centennial anniversary of the apparitions in Fatima, is a vitally important year for believers. Let’s take a careful look at the message that Mary gave the 3 little shepherds, a message that shown across the entire 20th century like a beam of light. Mary presented herself as Our Lady of the Rosary. She revealed to us the path toward a lasting peace for the whole world, and she specifically gave us a sure way of ending World War I, namely to pray the Rosary!

There is certainly a major reason why the Blessed Virgin, in all of her appearances throughout the Church’s history, strongly insists that we pray the rosary every day. Why does she constantly reiterate this tender supplication? As a Mother, she knows best how to guide her children toward happiness.
Many have never practiced this prayer. Some do not even know it, while others have stopped praying it. It has to be said that the hidden treasure of the rosary is not always very easy to find. That is why I propose to give you a little explanation.

There are 2 ways of praying the Rosary, the good way and the badway. Or…Let’s rather say: the weak way and the powerful way.

The weak way:  Suppose that I carry a heavy burden on my heart because one of my relatives is dying in hospital and is in great pain. So I decide to say a Rosary for this intention, in the hope of obtaining a healing for that person or at least some tangible relief. So I start reciting my Hail Mary’s pretty mechanically, while my mind is anxiously focused on the suffering of this person. I wonder how I am going to be able to deal with this very difficult situation. It goes without saying that this Rosary will still bear a little fruit, but it will leave me more tired and stressed than before I prayed. It’s a pity, because I’ve spent some time praying it!
The powerful way: The Blessed Mother has taught us to pray the Rosary for the past 35 years with great precision. Suppose that the same problem is bothering me and it hurts: one of my parents is dying in hospital and is in great pain. So I am going to share this concern with my Mother in Heaven. Instead of locking my mind on that problem, I am going to completely get rid of it, let it go, throw it and abandon it in her Immaculate Heart.

Image published by RL George: http://www.rlgeorge.com/our-lady-of-fatima/
I may tell her: “MOM, now this is YOUR problem! The burden is too heavy for me, please take care of it since you’re my mother. Aren’t you all-powerful on the heart of God? He can’t say no to you!”
I know she is good at taking care of her children’s problems, so while she is busy with my problem, my heart is relieved and free to pray with serenity. With deep trust in her, I can now focus on Jesus wholeheartedly and contemplate the various situations in His life that the mysteries talk about.

Of course, before pronouncing the prayers of the Rosary, I take some time to go in spirit to the place where the mystery has happened. At that point, it’s always a good idea to read the relevant part of the Gospel. With all my heart and using my imagination, I am going to look at Jesus in this situation, enter the scene and participate in what is happening.
A concrete example: when I pray the 5th luminous mystery, the institution of the Holy Eucharist during the Last Supper, I go in spirit to Jerusalem, I enter the Upper Room in the Cenacle and I sit down at the table among the Apostles in order to participate in the meal.

When Jesus gave his friends his Body and his Blood, he was already thinking of me, because in his divine spirit he already knew all the Holy Communions that I was going to receive, as well as those of all men of all time. So I am not a distant outsider, rather I fully become part of this event that involves me directly. This extraordinary event is not an old story that is disconnected from my life. No, this action of Jesus is something he does for me again today. While I am watching him in prayer, I receive the same grace from Jesus that he poured out 2000 years earlier to his friends. Because “we become what we contemplate”, everything that lives in the heart of Jesus at this moment penetrates into my own heart.  I become filled with his treasures and my whole being is enriched by the burning love which emanates from him.

This example enables us to understand why such a prayer fills us with who Christ is and increases our love for others. This love will then be transformed into action, because it is solid. As Our Mother says: “Of you, my apostles, I am asking for your roses of prayer which need to be acts of love. To my motherly heart these are the dearest prayers.” (In the Rosary, each Hail Mary is a new rose which we offer to Mary). “Always love one another and above all, love my Son. This is the only way to salvation, to Eternal Life. This is my dearest prayer which fills my heart with the most beautiful scent of roses.”



Dearest Gospa, please, don’t let us fall into spiritual laziness, help us seize all the means you are giving us to finally enjoy true peace and divine protection!
Sister Emmanuel