To “Sinful Souls Drowned in Despair”


“My children, there is so little faith now in the world that people either hope too much, or they despair. Some say, “I have done too much evil; the good God cannot pardon me.” My children, this is a great blasphemy; it is putting a limit to the mercy of God, which has no limit – it is infinite. You may have done evil enough to lose the souls of a whole parish, and if you confess, if you are sorry for having done this evil, and resolve not to do it again, the good God will have pardoned you.
A priest was once preaching on hope, and on the mercy of the good God. He reassured others, but he himself despaired. After the sermon, a young man presented himself, saying, “Father, I am come to confess to you.” The priest answered, “I am willing to hear your confession.” The other recounted his sins, after which he added, “Father, I have done much evil; I am lost!” “What do you say, my friend! We must never despair.” The young man rose, saying, “Father, you wish me not to despair, and what do you do?” This was a ray of light; the priest, all astonishment, drove away that thought of despair, became a religious and a great saint* … The good God had sent him an angel under the form of a young man, to show him that we must never despair. The good God is as prompt to grant us pardon when we ask it of Him as a mother is to snatch her child out of the fire.” (* And so can you! Listen to the words of St. Faustina who herself was overomce by despair at times: “Let no soul, even the most miserable, fall prey to doubt; for as long as one is alive, each one can become a great saint, so great is the power of God’s grace. It remains only for us not to oppose God’s action.”)
“I want all souls to have confidence in My mercy, to expect all from My clemency, and never to doubt my readiness to forgive. I am God, but a God of Love! I am a Father, but a Father full of compassion and never harsh. My love never changes. It is my joy to forgive.” – Jesus to Sr. Josefa Menendez
“The mercy of God is infinite and NEVER refuses to forgive sinners… My Heart takes comfort in forgiving. I have no greater desire, no greater joy, than when I can pardon a soul… When a soul returns to Me after a fall, the comfort she gives Me is a gain for her, for I regard her with very great love.” – Jesus to Sr. Josefa Menendez (Give Jesus this joy! As Jesus said to Sr. Mary of the Trinity: “The greatest give you can make Me is to receive Me.” Closing our hearts to God will leave us cold and unhappy. Let God love you! As He said to St. Catherine: “Mercy is what I do”).
[Josefa asked if He remembered our faults after they were forgiven. Jesus replied:] “As soon as a soul throws itself at My feet and implores My forgiveness, Josefa, I forget all her sins.” – Jesus to Sr. Josefa Menendez
“However great is the number of your frailties, far greater are the mercies of My Heart…My love never changes.” – Jesus to Sr. Josefa Menendez
“Do not worry about your miseries; My Heart is the Throne of Mercy, and the most wretched are the best welcomed, as long as they come to lose themselves in the abyss of My love.” – Jesus to Sr. Josefa Menendez
“Oh! If souls only realized how I wait for them in mercy. I am the love of all loves, and it is My joy to forgive.”  – Jesus to Sr. Josefa Menendez
******* “… your sins will NEVER be as great as My mercy, which is infinite.” *******
– Jesus to Sr. Josefa Menendez