Close encounters of a special kind with Padre Pio


The Souls in Purgatory, The Guardian Angel, the devil.

Everybody who met Padre Pio seemed convinced that he had a direct connection with the afterlife, and asked about a dead relative or friend. It was fascinating there was always an answer. 


Gerardo De Caro had long conversations with Padre Pio in 1943. In his written notes he testifies:
 "Padre Pio had an exact knowledge of the state of a soul after death, including the duration of the pain until reached total purification."


“More souls of the dead from Purgatory than of the living climb this mountain to attend my Masses and seek my prayers.”

"The souls in Purgatory pray for us, and their prayers are even more effective than ours, because they are accompanied by their suffering. 
So, let's pray for them, and let's pray them to pray for us."


"You will be surprised to find in Paradise souls you never expected to be there."


"Most of the saved pass through Purgatory before arriving at the fullness of beatitude."

Dec. 30, 1937 Padre Pio was praying in the choir with the other friars. Suddenly he said: "Let's pray for our Provincial Father 

Padre Bernardo Apicella who is in agony." Noboby knew that he was sick. The day after they were told that he had suddenly died.


Pope Pius XII died in Castelgandolfo on October 9, 1958. On that day Padre Pio told a friar: "Pius XII is in heaven. I saw him during Mass."

Padre Pio was in a room at the convent. A man came: "I am Pietro Di Mauro. I died on September 18, 1908, in this room during a fire. 
The Lord let me come from Purgatory. If tomorrow you say the Mass for me, I will go to Paradise." 
Padre Pio reported: "I was agitated. I told the superior Father Paolino da Casacalenda what had happened  and asked to celebrate the Mass for Pietro." Father Paolino gave the permission and later went to consult the registry at City Hall. 
In that date a fire had killed a man with that name. 



Padre Pio to Cleonice Morcaldi, a month after the death of her mother: "This morning your mom flew to Paradise. I saw her during Mass."



Padre Pio reported to Padre Anastasio di Roio:  "one night I was alone in the choir and I saw a friar cleaning the altar late at night. 
I asked him to go to bed since it was so late. He said: "I'm a friar like you. I did here my novitiate and when assigned to take care of the Altar, 
and I passed many times in front of the Tabernacle without making the proper reverence. For this sin I am in Purgatory, and the Lord sent me to you. 
You decide how much longer I have to suffer in those flames." I told him: until the Mass in the morning. He said "Cruel" and disappeared. 
I still have a wound in my heart. 
I could have sent him immediately to Paradise, instead he had to stay one more night in the flames of Purgatory."



Padre Pio told Padre Onorato Marcucci who was helping him. "Last night I was not well and didn't make you sleep.
I have been thinking how to compensate you, so I took a plenary indulgence for your mother to send her to Paradise."





The following statement is taken from the book of John McCaffery "Tales of Padre Pio", Kansas City, 1979, pag. 67
There is no similar statement in any other book about Padre Pio.
However, given the reliability of the source i leave it to the reader.