To be a light for others

 For the wayfarer who truly desires to reach his destination, the important thing is to have a clear path. He is grateful for clear signs, even if they sometimes indicate a path that is a little narrower and more difficult, and he will flee from paths that, although wide and comfortable to walk, lead nowhere... or lead to a precipice. We must have the utmost interest in forming our conscience well, for it is the light that makes us distinguish good from evil, that leads us to ask for forgiveness and to recover the path of good if we have lost it. The Church provides us with the means, but does not exempt us from the effort of using them responsibly.


In our prayer today we can ask ourselves: Do I dedicate the necessary time to my spiritual formation, or do I often allow myself to be absorbed by the other things that fill the day? Do I have a reading plan, seen in spiritual direction, that helps me to progress in my spiritual formation according to my age and culture? Am I faithful to the indications of the Magisterium of the Church, knowing that in it I find the light of truth in the face of contradictory opinions in matters of faith, social teachings, etc., with which I frequently encounter? Do I try to know it and make it known? Do I accept it with docility and piety? Do I frequently rectify my intention by offering my works to God, bearing in mind that we men tend to seek applause, vanity, praise in what we do, and that this often leads to the deformation of our conscience?


We need light and clarity for ourselves and for those who are close to us. Our responsibility is very great. The Christian is placed by God as a torch that illuminates others in their walk towards God. We must form ourselves "in the face of that avalanche of people that will come upon us, with the precise and demanding question: - "well, what is to be done?"". Our children, relatives, colleagues, friends are looking at our behavior and we have to bring them to God. And so that the guide of the blind is not also blind, it is not enough to know by hearsay, by references; to lead our relatives and friends to God, a vague and superficial knowledge of the path is not enough; it is necessary to walk it.... That is: to have dealings with the Lord, to know his doctrine more and more deeply, to have a concrete struggle against our defects. In a word: to go ahead in the interior struggle and in the example. To be exemplary in our profession, in our family? He who has the mission to say great things," says St. Gregory the Great, "is obliged to practice them. And only if he practices them will what he says be effective.


Jesus Christ, when he wanted to teach his disciples how to practice the spirit of service to one another, girded himself with a towel and washed their feet. That is what we should do: make Christ known by being exemplary in our daily chores, turning the Lord's doctrine into life.


https://www.hablarcondios.org/meditaciondiaria.aspx